Almost a decade ago, I took my first weekend course to become a kids yoga teacher. I knew right away that this was the path for me, and I decided to jump right into to teaching kids yoga wherever I could.
Based on my few trainings I experience as a Yogi, I thought it would be fun and a perfect fit. I was fortunate enough to find a full-time job teaching kids yoga at a nearby public charter school within six months.
I was so excited to share with these kids all the yoga and games I had learned through my training and initial experience. I was convinced it would help them learn and focus and that they would love it right away.
All of my training gave me great ideas and advice on how to teach yoga to kids, and what games to play, but I had a few big problems…
- Nothing I had learned had prepared me to come up with lesson plans, content, and class outlines
- I didn’t know how to manage classroom behaviors (which can range from mild unwillingness to dramatic and unsafe aggression)
- I had no idea how to keep kids engaged with the yoga sequences that I came up with
- I had no resources for students of color… there were almost NO images of kids doing yoga who weren’t white. How could I convince them yoga was for them, too, when the kids didn’t look like them?
As a yoga and an educator who'd worked with kids for over a decade, I was at a loss to figure out WHY these kiddos weren't engaging and enjoying the yoga that I was teaching!
It is hard to start teaching kids yoga, no matter your background.
You might have the poses and some lesson ideas, but unless you have the sequences and a solid class outline it can be tough to replicate.
Finally, after almost three years of struggling, I stumbled upon a sequence that worked. From there I built up a class outline, I learned more about mindfulness and growth mindset, and I put it all together.
A Yoga Flow, class outlines that work, and some tried and true lesson plans that are easily replicate-able with different themes is what worked for me and will work for you.
No matter where you are in your teaching yoga career, whether you are part time, opportunistic with your own kids, or looking for a full time position, these tools to Level Up Your Kids Yoga will help you on your way! Get started teaching, see example lessons, and have a FULL set of printable kids yoga cards that are ready to take anywhere and fit into any new lesson plan.
You'll get access to these essential kids yoga teaching resources:
- Beautiful and unique yoga pose images, descriptions, and instructions on exactly how to teach a Yoga Flow, a specifically curated sequence of yoga poses that you can do with your kids or students every single day.
- Foundational tips and advice for teaching kids yoga
- Tips for teaching with mindful language
- Mini Yoga Flows to add to your sequence
- Full sized digital kids yoga pose cards with the most diverse set of kids (40 images in PDF format)
- Four fully scripted lesson plans including unique breathing techniques, games, mindfulness meditation scripts and activities for each lesson (Books are not included, but links to video versions and read-alouds are)